Just a few kilometres away are the ruins of Duntulm Castle, once the stronghold of the Chiefs of Clan Donald. Today this a great location to enjoy magnificent sunsets and views of the Outer Hebrides. Also near Duntulm is the walk out to beautiful Rubha Hunish, Skye’s most northerly point and one of the best places in Scotland for whale watching. 5 kilometers south of Flodigarry is Staffin Museum, where the exhibits include dinosaur footprints as well as many other fossils found on the local coast.
The excellent Museum of Island Life is at Kilmuir, about 13km away, whilst the famous Old Man of Storr rock pinnacle is well seen when approaching Flodigarry from Portree. For island-hoppers, ferries to the Isles of Harris and North Uist sail from Uig, about 15km distant. It is possible to visit all these places using local buses from the hostel (not Sundays).
The following are links to some useful contacts/websites –
- Kilmartn Resturant – Staffin
- Columba 1400 – Columba 1400 is an award winning social enterprise and charity based in Staffin
- Walk Highlands – Walk Highlands is the ultimate website for walking and hiking in Scotland
- Caledonian MacBrayne Ferries Information on the Inner and Outer Hebrides of Scotland
- M2 Motors, Dunvegan Road, Portree – Car Hire – the best rates on the island
- Dunvegan Castle – Stronghold of the Chiefs of Clan MacLeod for nearly 800 years
- Talisker Distillery – The famous whisky distillery in Carbost, Isle of Skye – a history
- The Isle of Skye Brewing Company – Old fashioned beer from the Isle of Skye
- Misty Isle Boat Trips – Boat trips from Elgol
- Bella Jane Boat Trips – No visit to the Isle of Skye is complete without a trip on the award winning Bella Jane in Elgol
- Aquaxplore – Exhilarating Whale, wildlife-watching and sightseeing boat trips from Elgol, Isle of Skye. One the best days out!
- The Skye Museum of Island Life – Thatched croft houses depicting life on the Isle of Skye in bygone times